I usually save this yummy coffee cake for the holiday season, however for some reason I didn’t make it this past Christmas. It is a perfect weekend breakfast or brunch treat. This recipe divides perfectly into 2 8×8 foil pans that can be given away as gifts! Just a thought 🙂
What you need:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
2/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 can fruit pie filling, such as cherry, apple, strawberry, peach, or blueberry
Glaze – 1/2 Cup powdered sugar, a drop of vanilla, splash of milk
- Grease and flour a 9×13 pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour and granulated sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Set aside 1/2 cup mixture for topping.
- Stir baking powder, soda, nutmeg, and salt into remaining crumb mixture. Make a well in the center. In a small bowl combine egg, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add egg mixture all at once to nutmeg mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Set aside 1 cup batter.
- Spread remaining batter onto bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of prepared pan or dish.
- Carefully spread the desired pie filling on top.
- Spoon reserved batter into small mounds on top of filling.
- Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 30 minutes or until slightly browned and your knife comes out clean.
- Let cool. Mix up glaze ingredients and drizzle over cake. Enjoy!